Friday, June 12, 2015

Speech 4 “When You Do a Job, You Get Paid”

“When You Do a Job, You Get Paid”

Don't you wish you could take a single childhood memory and blow it up into a bubble and live inside it forever?”  Well I do!
Last weekend I camped at Joshua tree national park with my wife. We were having a casual conversation and she asked me to share a childhood memory which I never told her before.  I gave her a wooden face. I thought I told her everything from my childhood days to the time I met her. I stretched my brain muscles and finally I got something simple yet effective story from my child hood.


I was about 9 years old. I remember this particular visit to my farm at my village on a hot summer day during holidays.  On that day I became an early bird all of a sudden.  Reason being the previous night, my dad told me that I had a job to do at the farm. He said “when you do a Job, you get paid” He has not disclosed what I will be paid or what my job was. This statement from my dad was resonating in my mind like a stretched string from the moment he said it to me.  I was excited, enthusiastic and eager.
Since it was very early in the day, I can hear the roosters crowing and the pigeons cooing. My dad took on his bicycle and I sat on the back carriage. We were heading on this narrow and unpaved road. Along the way, I observed several people doing several different jobs like milking cows, Bringing water, cleaning utensils, people selling breakfast etc. I thought to myself “when you do a job, you get paid
It was about 30 minutes ride on the bicycle and we reached our farm and I became the most observant kid in the whole wide world trying to notice each and every person doing his/her job. We have 20 acres of coconut farm.  We have to park our cycle at some point where we need to cross a small canal on which a coconut tree trunk was placed for people to cross it.  My father holds my hand and helps me step by step to cross this canal. We have to walk another half kilometer to reach our hut.  We operate the bore well and keep our belongings there.
We have a tube well which we use to pump the ground water and use it for irrigation of the coconut trees. There was a small pool. Bathing at the bore well was my favorite activity as a child. I thought someone has built this bore well and someone else must have built this pool. I thought to me again “when you do a job, you get paid
I got into that shallow pool lying on my back and staring at the sky. Since it was already hot, my heart desired a drizzle.  I was thinking about the job and the payment I was about to get.  
A group of 10 workers came and were talking to my dad. It took no time for me to realize that there is coconut harvesting will be done. They do this every 45 days. They climb the tree; cut the pre ripened coconuts. Everybody has a definite job. Someone climbs, someone collects and someone categorizes.   My father got me a chair and I am just watching them waiting for the time when the task will be assigned to me.  While I sit at the pile, my father walks around to check on the people who were climbing. This piling happened until noon. The day was so hot that you can bake a cake in the sand.
The goat keepers at our farm offered me the lunch that day. They are vegetarian and the fun part was they don’t eat with the hands. They cooked rice and the gravy. One person mixes and put it in the banana leaf. You have to eat with your mouth directly. Food melted in my mouth and it was all in the best possible taste.
Post lunch everyone gathered at the pile and everyone started peeling the skin of the coconut and then the counting started.  My dad called me and gave me a thread. He asked me to tie a knot for every hundred I hear when they count out loud. I realized immediately that was my Joyful job. I was busy as a bee the whole time and successfully completed the job.
The next day my dad took me to the town and bought me an electronic watch for 30 rupees. It is a big deal for a school going kid. I was on cloud 9 for at least some days. That’s how I got paid for my first job. It was my father’s way of saying nothing comes for free and “When you do a job, you get paid

I would like to conclude my speech with a simple quote from Julian Barnes.Memories of childhood were the dreams that stayed with you after you woke. So my fellow toastmasters, when you have a moment recollect any good childhood memory and I am sure you will be glad to cherish that moment.


No comments: